Last week I asked all of my newsletter subscribers to let me know what content they wanted to see in future newsletters. There were many emails asking about how to deal with dry winter skin issues and so this blog post was born! Sign up for my newsletter HERE so you can get your questions answered too!
How to combat winter skin:
1) Stay hydrated – the air is deceptively dry this time of year.
2) Eat a diet based on whole foods with a good amount of fruits & veggies as well as healthy fats like avocados, eggs, grass-fed meats and tallows, grass-fed butter, wild caught fatty fish – like salmon, nuts and seeds, and coconut oil. Antioxidants and fat are important for skin health.
4) Use a natural moisturizer after showering – or [embedit snippet=”coconut-oil”]
5) Set up a humidifier in your home or leave a pot of water boiling on the stove every once in awhile to get some humidity into the air.
6) Exercise – sweat is most excellent for your skin!
7) And here’s a bonus – a recipe to make your own whipped body butter! (based on a recipe from Wellness Mama)
HOMEMADE PEPPERMINT WHIPPED BODY BUTTER
½ cup raw cocoa butter – I used the [embedit snippet=”cocoa butter pastilles”]
½ cup olive oil
½ cup coconut oil
½ cup raw shea butter
Peppermint Essential Oil (15-20 drops or use your preference)
In a double boiler melt all the ingredients (except the essential oil)
Remove from heat for a few minutes to cool a bit, then move the ingredients into a large bowl.
Store in the refrigerator for about 45 minutes or until the batter is almost completely hardened, but still soft to the touch.
Whip with an electric hand mixer until body butter is light and fluffy – it will look like whipped cream when you are finished.
It smells SO GOOD. Like a Christmas cookie AND a candy cane!
Here’s to gorgeous skin this winter!
Have a fantastic Christmas and a Happy & Healthy New Year!