If you are working on optimizing your health & reducing stress in your life, eating foods that do not cause inflammation and digestive distress should be part of that process. For many people, removing grains, soy and dairy can be keys to feeling great and have made that shift in their eating habits. In fact, as a Health Coach, one of the first suggestions I make to someone who wants to feel better is to try eating gluten-free and soy-free and see how they feel. Most people report more energy, reduced or eliminated digestive issues, clearer thinking and find that many minor, nagging heath issues disappear. Food CAN be medicine!
So why should Thanksgiving dinner be any different? Just because you grew up eating bread stuffing or gravy with flour to thicken it, or pumpkin pie with a flour crust, does not mean you have to continue to do it as an adult. In fact, I believe Thanksgiving dinner can be even more creative, delicious & nutritious without wheat flours – and chances are you won’t have to deal with being bloated and loosening the belt afterwards!
And don’t worry – you won’t see any ubiquitous “mashed cauliflower” recipes here. As much as I actually like mashed cauliflower, I like variety more!
So prepare your bird and let me do the rest!
Let’s start with Side-dishes!
Root Vegetable Medley
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 50 min – 1 hour & 15 min (depending how soft you like the veggies)
Preheat oven to 350ᵒ F
1 large parsnip (or 2-3 normal sized ones)
2 small golden beets (or 1 large)
1 large turnip
1 large rutabaga
1 large Japanese yam or a sweet potato (Optional)
½ onion, sliced
1 large apple
½ package cubed butternut squash
1 cup fresh cranberries (Optional)
½ cup coconut oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Peel all the root vegetables.
Chop all root vegetables, the squash, and the apple into small cubes.
Slice the ½ onion into strips.
Put all of the above into a 15 x 10 x 2 glass baking pan
Add the fresh cranberries (if desired)
Mix all ingredients together
Add the coconut oil to the mixture.
Add salt and pepper.
Cook for 25 minutes and then stir. If the mixture is dry, add more coconut oil.
Cook for another 25 minutes and stir again. The veggies may be cooked at this stage, but often they are crunchier than I generally like, so I tend to use the entire 1 hour and 15 cook time to soften them more, as well as get them crispier on the outside. SO GOOD!!!
(BONUS: eat leftovers of this dish as a hash with eggs for breakfast the next day! UNREAL!!!)
- Here is my recipe for Easy Cranberry Sauce – no need for the weird gelatinous can of gloop!
- Love green bean casserole, but don’t love the ingredients? Here is a wonderful Clean Green Bean Casserole recipe from Detoxinista.
- What about stuffing? How can that be grain-free? Well, how about letting a Doctor provide you with a recipe! If you are not aware of Amy Myers, MD., then click this link right now and bookmark it! She is amazing and a great resource for getting to the root of your health issues! She also can cook! Here is her recipe for stuffing – Bacon, Apple & Sweet Potato Stuffing to be exact! (I am drooling!!!)
- Appetizers, anyone? Here are 2 appetizers in one post by Juli Bauer of PaleOMG And OMG indeed – these are just so so so goooood!
- Pass the gravy! Elana’s Pantry has got you covered with her Herb Gravy! I could drink this one by itself it’s so good!
- And finally, that Pumpkin Pie everyone will be waiting for after dinner can be grain-free and your guests will never know it! By FAR, this is the absolute BEST grain-free pumpkin pie I have tried. This is another recipe by a Doctor – Sarah Ballantyne, PhD. She is also known best as The Paleo Mom. FYI – My advice with this recipe is to use 1 tbsp of pumpkin pie spice & 2 tsp of cinnamon instead of the ginger, nutmeg, allspice, clove, & cardamom she lists as separate ingredients since it is cheaper and the addition of the cinnamon makes the pie taste more flavorful.
Like what you just read? Sign up for my newsletter! Get motivated on your quest to optimize your health, find freedom from your nagging health issues, and evolve from just surviving to absolutely THRIVING! PLUS you can opt in for my FREE 12-week program MONDAY MAYHEM if you so choose! Get an email once a week for 12 weeks to help you prioritize self-care to achieve health and lasting weight loss!
Eat Real Food. Be Free. Live Wild!